Despite a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in the U.S., Church Hill Downs officials have announced they plan on hosting September’s Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby with spectators in the stands.
Making the announcement on Thursday, Churchill Downs President Kevin Flanery said the decision was made after getting the OK from Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear. He did not say how many fans will be allowed in the stadium.
“You know, I’m not worried about the number at this point,” Flanery told reporters. “What I’m worried about is that we’ve got good protocols in place and we are talking with our guests.”
The races, which had been originally scheduled to be held the first week of May, were pushed back to September 4th and 5th because of the coronavirus pandemic.